Wednesday, 19 September 2012

A Good Start

"Wife-dressing is many things:
An art.
A science.
A labor of love.
A means of self-expression.
And, above all, a contributing factor to a happy marriage."

'Wife Dressing,The Fine Art of Being a Well-Dressed Wife" 
by Anne Fogarty, 1959

This may be my first stumbling block on the path to being a 1950s housewife because, quite frankly, my wardrobe is a joke. Just recently, in a bid to be more organised, I got rid of the masses of worn out, ill-fitting, unused rags garments in my wardrobe and now all I have left are 3 dresses, 6 skirts, 2 blouses, 7 pullovers, 4 cardigans, 8 t-shirts and 3 pairs of shoes. Somewhat anaemic no?

In an ideal world I would start off my journey to vintage housewife-hood with a vast array of veiled hats, white gloves and crinoline petticoats. However it is not to be, and sadly we do not have the funds for me to go out and buy them. Well at least not all at once. But darling Mr H has jiggled our finances, so that each month I have a little something to spend on obtaining that vast array. Ain't he a doll?

Even though I am a vintage lover, I am not going to buy vintage clothes. They are rarely big enough that they fit me and those that are, are either too delicate to withstand the rigors of three rowdy children or made out of icky icky nylon or deeply unflattering for my figure. I'm not going to buy vintage shoes either but only because I have a real thing about feet and the thought of wearing second hand shoes makes my skin crawl. Instead I am going to sew my own clothes, building up my wardrobe bit by bit, by using vintage or reproduction patterns and whatever gems I can find in the local fabric market.

But in the meantime I will simply use the limited clothing I already have and make an effort to be as neatly groomed as would be expected of me in the 1950s including curling my hair, painting my nails, wearing red lipstick and wearing pearls. All of which I did today. A good start!


Mrs H x

No comments:

Post a Comment