Thursday, 27 September 2012

Date Night

What a day and what a night! I feel like a new woman.

I love my Mum. She's my best friend and I love spending time with her. We look incredibly alike and have a very similar, somewhat off-the-wall sense of humour. More often than not, Mum and I are howling with laughter at some half-spoken joke whilst all those around us just look on bemused. It's from my Mum that I get my love of vintage and sewing and knitting and tea, mustn't forget the tea. Well we got to do all those things today. Yey!

Mum flew over for along weekend today and, since darling Mr H offered to take the day off to look after the children, we went shopping just us two. The weather was utterly rotten, absolutely tipping it down, so we weren't sure where to go but in the end we decided to risk the rain and go to Stroud. We haven't been in ages but we are definitely going to go more often. We had forgotten how many great little vintage shops there were there.

I could have bought almost everything that I saw today. I was almost bought a 1950s 'gold' three-tray hostess trolley but I simply don't have the room at home, and there was a fabulous 1950s/60s black fox stole with the face and the legs on but it was just too expensive (especially since I'm not convinced it was an actual fox or even real fur). In the end I bought myself a mustard yellow coffee pot set that I think is housewife heaven but Mr H thinks is so truly vile he may come out in hives just from picking up a cup. Pah! Obviously he's talking about a complete different set to mine. Either way, we'll find out in the morning.

Then on the way home we stopped off at the Nature In Art art gallery for tea and cake, where I managed to pick up a 1966 cookbook called 1001 Ways To Popular Parties for just £1! It's not 1950s but for £1, who can argue? I'm simply going to have to throw dinner parties now. I mean, it would be rude not to. After all, everyone should be able to delight in piped mashed potato 'tinted to a rainbow of gay colours' with food colouring and saucers filled with flowers 'to give a lift to the room'.

But my fabulous day wasn't over just yet. For tonight was Date Night.

It's very rare that I go out socially and even rarer that I get to go out with my husband. Babysitters willing to look after three children are either as rare as unicorns or so expensive that we wouldn't have any money left to go out. So when Mum said she'd babysit, the ever indulgent Mr H leaped into action and planned the perfect 1950s housewife date. We went bowling!

The vintage advert that inspired Mr H


I haven't been bowling since I was a teenager, so I thought I would be hopeless. But not so much. I wasn't a whizz or anything but I won! All three games! Which was all the more fun because Mr H and I are really competitive with each other and normally he wins EVERYTHING. It was the perfect retro date; I wore my favourite polka dot circle dress and a ribbon in my hair, we drank a beer on the alley (I didn't know that you could do that), and did I mention that I won? After bowling we even went for a burger and a milkshake. I felt like I'd just stepped out of 1951! Fabulous! We both enjoyed the evening so much that we're going to try and make it a regular thing and see if we can gather up enough friends that we can have teams. For my part, if we do go more often, I think I might invest in a pair of bowling shoes because those loaners are revolting. (What the heck is in that spray they put in the shoes?) And of course I'll need a bowling shirt... and my own ball... Ooooo I can't wait!


Mrs H x

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely evening! I haven't been bowling in ages either :) Glad to hear you had a wonderful time! (I just stumbled across your blog by the way- keep up the amazing work with it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lottie. It was a great night. And I'm glad you're enjoying my little blog!

    ReplyDelete