Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Make Do And Losing My Marbles

Sorry that it's been a couple of days since my last post. I've caught a head cold and I feel completely rotten so I've been completely slacking on the 1950s housewife front. I've been slouching around the house in chunky sweaters and no make-up, I'm behind on putting away the laundry and I've been late getting out of bed the last two mornings in a row. It's no excuse really, it's just a sniffle for crying out loud, but I'm a complete wuss when I'm ill.

I've also been very busy on the sewing front. S has a Prince and Princess ball at school on Friday but hasn't a thing to wear. I could put her in her party dress, I suppose, but I really don't fancy the idea of trying to get poster paint and party food out of silk. And if it ripped, she's be devastated. So I came up with the idea of whipping her up something out of one of my old dresses.

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding
From Telegraph.co.uk


Simple right? Well no. Not exactly.

I rummaged around in the attic and found one of my old, frankly hideous, ballgowns from back in the 90's made out of sheer metallic blue/grey organza and net. I then cut out the pattern for a basic straight dress and overskirt. Except it wasn't really as easy as that. The fabric was so darned slippery and static, I thought it would float out the window! It wouldn't stay still to cut and it wouldn't stay still to sew. If I hated that frock before I REALLY hate it now! But after countless amounts of swearing, threatening, bargaining and almost losing my marbles, I finished it. S now has a knee-length sleeveless dress with a large bow at one shoulder and a  removable elasticated overskirt with attached net petticoat. And actually I am really proud of myself. It looks pretty darn good.

But now it's back to bed with a cup of homemade vegetable soup. Good night all.



Mrs H x

No comments:

Post a Comment