Sunday, 23 September 2012

The Big Kid With The Moustache



Me and my Pa

I am a Daddy's girl. I always have been and the older I get, the more of a Daddy's girl that I become. I adore him. He is my own personal hero. And the best bit is that all three of my children feel exactly the same way. They idolise their Granddad 'Tache.

So this morning, when he rang and asked if we wanted to meet up for lunch, I didn't so much as get a yes as a cacophony of whoops and screams. One minute they were lolling about on the sofa in their pyjamas, the next they were upstairs brushing their hair and getting dressed in their party clothes. All without a word from me. I think I need to get Dad to ring every morning!

For lunch we went to Frankie and Benny's. It's not Mr H's favourite place but it's just round the corner from Dad, the food is decent and the kids love it there. (And I could happily spend hours listening to the 50s/60s music and looking at all the old photos on the walls.) We ate ourselves silly. Mr H and I both had burgers with melted blue cheese and onion rings, whilst Dad and the kids all had pizza. Each. Even little K. I'm amazed she managed to eat as much as she did, honestly it was almost as big as her!

And, as usual, Dad spoiled the kids completely. He's like a big kid with a moustache. Between the gallons of pop, the balloon fight and the mountains of ice cream, they were squealing and laughing so loudly, I almost felt sorry for the other diners. We always have such fun with Dad, even if he is such a bad influence on the children. He's the granddad that will fill their pockets full of sweets and whisper "don't tell your mother", or let them stay up until the wee hours watching movies. He teases and tickles and tells rude jokes (not that rude obviously but any joke with the word poo in it is hilarious to a four-year-old). How can they not adore him!

They got a little upset when we had to leave but a couple of big tickly kisses from Granddad 'Tache and all was better again. They certainly went to bed easily, giving me the whole evening to myself to drink tea and eat the Welsh cakes Dad bought for me as a treat. After all, I'm still his little princess.



Mrs H x

No comments:

Post a Comment